Saturday, November 23, 2013

Music Theory Classroom

I have been thinking a lot about how I will be able to integrate technology into my music classroom, and while I have been having a hard time coming up with viable ideas, I know that I will be able to use multiple forms of technology when teaching music theory classes. The traditional method of teaching the basics of music theory via chalk and chalkboard can easily be replaced with a smart board and some music writing software. Both of the programs Finale and Sibelius are great music writing tools, and I could definitely use them to show how music is written. While it may seem that using this technology for something so simple is a bit more than necessary, it also gives students the opportunity to hear what they are learning. The ability to hear the music that you learn about is key to keeping the concepts in the minds of students. 

1 comment:

  1. One thing you could do is have the students use musictheory.net. I find with this type of analytical work, drilling is one of the best and worst ways to commit to memory. The exercises done in class are usually trite and boring. At least with this site it is a little more interactive and it keeps track of your progress.

    ReplyDelete